By Paul Gubrud, Columnist

100 years ago, October 6, 1921

• Military Funeral — Remains of Thom Pederson Brought Back for Burial

The remains of Thom Pederson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Herman Pederson of Trondhjem, arrived from France Thursday evening. The casket was in charge of Pvt. Raymond Morrison of Fort Snelling. At the request of the parents, the American Legion Post is to take charge of the funeral, which will take place Sunday afternoon, Oct. 9th, at two o’clock at Stod Church (South Immanuel Lutheran).

Thom Pederson was born Sept. 20, 1894, in Trondhjem, where he grew to manhood. He left for Camp Lewis, Wash, on May 27th. From there, he was transferred to Camp Meade and arrived in France on August 11th. He was killed in action on Sept. 30, 1918. Universally respected, kind-hearted, and honest, his memory is cherished not alone for his great sacrifice but also for his sterling manhood.

• C. R. Frazee Resigns

Charles R. Frazee, who has been postmaster here for the past twenty-six years, has resigned in order to devote his entire time to the banking business. Mr. Frazee is perhaps the oldest postmaster in point of service in this part of the state and has always been painstaking and faithful to his trust.

Examination to fill the place will be held on Oct. 22 at Fergus Falls and other points.

75 years ago, October 10, 1946

• Frazee Team Too Much for Pelican

The football game played last Friday evening in the rain and cold between Pelican Rapids and Frazee high schools didn’t turn out so good for the local team. The visitors had the advantage at halftime with two touchdowns, and although the Vikings increased their drive in the last half, they could not overcome this advantage, and the game ended 12 to 7 in favor of the Frazee team.

The visitors displayed some splendid teamwork in scoring their two touchdowns. Their ball carriers were supported by good blocking, and they gathered one first down after another to keep possession of the ball for the biggest part of the half. The Vikings scored their only counter in the early part of the third quarter when Donald Bice made a long run for the touchdown.

Fumbles were numerous in the game due to the wet field and wet ball.

• Fire Siren Calls Out Firemen

Shortly after seven o’clock, Monday morning, a fire was discovered in the unused barn and sometimes used as an icehouse in back of the old Aaby Hotel building. The firemen responded in record time, but before the water was poured on, the fire had gained considerable headway and was coming out one side of the roof. The blaze was soon extinguished, and outside of destroying some material, no other damage was done.

It is not known how the fire originated.

50 years ago, October 7, 1971

• Candidates for Village Offices Unopposed

Candidates for village offices will have no opposition on the ballot at the annual election on Tuesday, November 2.

On Tuesday, the final day for candidates to file for office, a petition on behalf of Jewell (J. C.) Danielson was filed with the village clerk, placing his name on the ballot as a candidate for mayor. No other candidates are seeking the post which will be vacated by Dr. Henry Korda, mayor for the past six years.

Ray Englebretson and Roland Huseby filed for the two council seats opening this year and are also unopposed. The council members retiring after serving two terms (six years) each are Dr. Elroy Hexhum and Dr. Kenneth Albright.

Two other jobs were up for election this year also: constable and justice of the peace. There are no candidates for either position. The constable whose term expires this year is L. A. Puckett. The village has only one justice of the peace, Roland Huseby, and his candidacy for the Council will create another vacancy there.

• Nothing Taken in Elementary School Break-In

Apparently, nothing was disturbed during a break-in at the elementary school over the weekend.

The school was entered late Friday or early Saturday, school officials reported. Entry was gained by breaking a glass in a door at the west side of the building. A glass was also broken in the door to the office, but as far as can be determined, nothing was taken or disturbed. A large vault in the office showed no signs that anyone had attempted to force it open. It contained no money.

“I wish people would realize that we keep no money here overnight.” Elementary principal Wm. Stutsman remarked.

Supt. Chauncey Martin expressed the same sentiment, adding that it is costly to repair damage caused by the would-be thieves. 

Someone was also in the high school Friday night, practicing grammar and spelling of the four-letter variety, also damaging a video recorder.

25 years ago, October 2, 1996

• Tables Turned on Healthcare Center Administrator; Ed Terry, A Patient in P-T Rehab at PVHC

Pelican Valley health care administrator and Terry says he knew his employees provided excellent care, but now he’s finding out first-hand just how well they do their jobs.

Terry, who has worked at PVHC for five years, the last 2 ½ as chief administrator, suffered a stroke on July 23 and was hospitalized in Fargo for nearly six weeks.

“You don’t realize how much they care, how well they do their jobs,” said Terry.

His therapy began in the hospital just three days after the stroke and continues now in Pelican Rapids for three hours a day, five days of the week.

• Clinic Board Decides to Keep Physician Recruitment Low Key

There aren’t any professional “head hunters” looking for physicians to staff the Pelican Valley Health Center clinic. So far, the search is being kept low-key.

Meeting last week, the board favored keeping it that way, choosing to allow Dr. Richard Lysne of the clinic staff to follow on some personal leads.

The board is seeking to replace Dr. Roy Cordy, who resigned this past month.

In addition to recruiting a physician, the board has had to handle problems related to the absence of administrator Ed Terry, who has been on medical leave following a stroke.