Movies on Sundays were Pelican issue a century ago

100 years ago, August 10, 1922

• No More Sunday Movies

Last spring, at the request of the clergy of the village, the council passed an ordinance prohibiting Sunday shows in the village. About two years previous, a similar ordinance was passed, but it was never enforced, and Mr. Cowles, the proprietor of the Orpheum, has been giving Sunday evening shows ever since. He also continued to keep his place of business open after the ordinance was passed last spring, and C. D. Haugen, having filed a complaint, had him arrested for disobeying the law. Attorney N. F. Field of Fergus was secured to prosecute the case, and Mr. Cowles employed attorneys to defend himself, as he planned on fighting the case. He was to have a hearing before Judge Barnes in Fergus Falls on July 27, but the case was continued until Aug. 3. Before the case came to trial, Mr. Cowles announced that he would quit operating the theatre on Sundays, and the case was continued for thirty days more with the understanding that it is likely to be dropped.

The state Supreme Court gave a decision last winter relative to Sunday movies, and this decision empowers villages to regulate Sunday movies.

Mr. Cowles has run a first-class picture house, and the sentiment of the village is divided as to the advisability of closing Sundays. Two years ago, when the question was voted upon, there was a large majority against Sunday movies, but as there seemed to be no law on the statute books governing Sunday movies at that time, no effort was made then to close up the theatre on Sundays.

75 years ago, August 7, 1947

• Bangor Ball Club Wins Over Oscar

On Sunday, Aug. 3, the Bangor baseball team defeated Oscar by a close score of 11-10. Both teams committed several errors to add to the scoring.

Starting off in the first inning, the Oscar team took a 2-0 lead. Bangor got three runs in the second and stayed in front for the rest of the game. Oscar scored three in a ninth-inning rally with two out but failed by one run to tie the score.

Mike Haugrud of the Scambler team got three runs to lead the scoring for both sides. Milo Haugrud, also of Scambler, hit a homer in the third inning with two on bases to account for three runs. Batting for Oscar was G. Stenstrom and Satren, for Bangor, Cowles, and E. Peck. Stenstrom got thirteen strikeouts and walked three. Cowles had seven strikeouts and walked none.

The Bangor team was from Scambler Township north of Pelican Rapids. The Oscar team was from Oscar Township just south of Rothsay. They were true “farm teams.”

50 years ago, August 10, 1972

• Moorhead Man Drowns at Pelican Lake

A Moorhead man drowned in Pelican Lake Tuesday evening when he fell from his boat into ten feet of water.

DeLos Atkinson, 62, drowned about 7:30 pm when he fell into the lake while trying to untangle a fishing line from his motor.

Authorities said Atkinson was fishing about 300 feet from shore when his wife looked out their lake home window and noticed he was in trouble. She summoned neighbors for help, and two of them took a boat to the scene. They found Atkinson under the surface of the water and pulled him out. 

He was given artificial respiration but was pronounced dead on arrival at the Pelican Valley Health Center.

The mishap occurred in rough water where the lake is about ten feet deep, the sheriff’s office reported. Atkinson is the second to drown in Pelican Lake this year.

• Village Without Water During Plant Failure

Water faucets in the village went dry for a period Saturday afternoon when an air compressor failure stopped all the pumps.

Public Works Superintendent Jim Kooyer said that all of the controls and switches in the water plant are controlled by air pressure, so when the compressor failed, everything stopped working. Less than an hour later, the water tank was empty, and the village was without water.

Kooyer said that the controls were operated manually after the trouble was located. Later, a portable air compressor was employed to get the automatic controls back into service.

25 years ago, August 13, 1997

• County-wide Addressing Continues; Replaces Old Fire Number System

A county-wide addressing program continues in Otter Tail County, which will eventually eliminate the need for fire numbers. The system also is needed for the county’s enhanced 911 (E-911) update, which provides an immediate location when an emergency call is received.

“We are presently in the process of taking all roads that are not already numbered, such as federal, state, and county roads and all those roads that do not fit a north-south or east-west grid, and naming them,” reports Bob Block, the county’s addressing co-ordinator.

 “Anyone who wants to have input into the naming of roads in a township, we suggest that you see your township board members right away,” says Block. “Some maps have already gone out, and, in fact, some maps have already been returned.”

The next step is to involve the U. S. Post Office in reviewing the Otter Tail County E-911 addressing scheme and sign off if approved. The county will then notify all residents of their new E-911 addresses. The address will be different from the postal service mailing address. After receiving a list of the E-911 addresses, the post office will change the mailing addresses. These changes will be made over a period of time, route by route. Residents will be notified by the post office of the mailing address changes.

The target date for the new E 911 system and county-wide addressing is December of next year, provided the Department of Administration, State of Minnesota adopts the system. Approval of the system is just the beginning. Block reiterates that since new homes will change, and new roads and other physical adjustments will have to be monitored and maintained.

 “We wish to thank the cities for their cooperation and the townships, which have been very supportive and helpful in accomplishing this very complex task,” Block notes.