Are you looking for a rare opportunity with a small, but dynamic publishing company—in a desirable, lakes-area community?
The Pelican Rapids Press is looking to employ a friendly and persuasive advertising sales representative to convince potential and existing clients to purchase print and digital advertising space in our newspaper and online on our website. The advertising sales representative’s responsibilities include identifying clients’ needs, researching competitors’ advertising services, products, and prices, and responding to potential clients’ inquiries.
You’re going to be talking to clients. A lot. You’ll sort out their issues and leave them delighted because you’re brilliant at customer service. Ultimately, an outstanding Advertising Sales Representative should achieve excellent customer service and continually meet or exceed sales quotas, while working to help the publishing team reach deadlines and put out a fantastic newspaper every week.
What you’ll be doing:
- Representing The Press as our main contact for all things advertising and marketing related.
- Building and sustaining long-lasting relationships with existing and potential clients through your friendliness and stellar communication skills.
- Always thinking of new ways to promote print and online subscriptions.
- Always looking for potential clients through regular research and by keeping an eye on what is happening in the community.
- Making lots of phone calls (including cold calls) to set up meetings with potential clients so you can present advertising proposals to them and address their concerns.
- Persuading existing and potential clients to purchase print and digital advertising products.
- Working closely with a small but mighty team of positive co-workers to meet deadlines and put out an awesome newspaper every week.
- Growing your client base and earning commissions on every sale.
- Helping out in the office as needed.
What you’re good at:
- Working with Mac systems and picking up on unfamiliar software pretty quickly.
- Understanding and applying marketing principles and techniques to make a sale and to inform creative promotional ideas.
- Persuading even the most conservative farmer that they should buy a display ad instead of a line ad if they ever want to sell that tractor because you’re just that persuasive. You ignore limiting beliefs about whether or not someone will buy and call them anyway.
- Having excellent organizational and analytical skills. You know how to create systems to stay on top of your schedule and where to find what you need.
- Explaining things to people in a way that helps them understand you. Your communication is clear and direct.
- Using your “Can-do Attitude” to find creative ways to make things work for customers and clients where someone else would think it impossible.
- Having a growth mindset and internal drive to accomplish sales goals without micro-management, but still open to suggestions and input from the publishing team and management. We are all team players here!
- Stepping up to help a co-worker and walk-in customers as needed.
What you have:
- At least a high school diploma or GED.
- A driver’s license and your own transportation to go on sales calls.
- Some experience in advertising sales or marketing, ideally in newspaper and digital advertising.
- A fundamental understanding of graphic arts.
What you get:
- Base salary plus sales commissions.
- A well-established client base.
- Lots of room for growth in both experience and compensation, including opportunities for bonuses.
- To work with a positive team of hard-working people who support each other’s success.
How to apply:
Email resume and cover letter to Lou at firstname.lastname@example.org