CITY OF PELICAN RAPIDS, MINNESOTA; ORDINANCE NO. 2023-02
CITY OF PELICAN RAPIDS, MINNESOTA
ORDINANCE NO. 2023-02
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING 208.08, SUBD. 1 & SUBD. 2 OF THE PELICAN RAPIDS CITY CODE
THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF PELICAN RAPIDS DOES ORDAIN:
SECTION ONE. That the Pelican Rapids City Code shall be amended as follows:
208.08 SICK LEAVE
Subdivision 1. Accrual. Pursuant to Minnesota’s Earned Sick and Safe Leave Law, all employees who perform at least eighty (80) hours of work per calendar year shall accrue sick time at a rate of one hour for every thirty (30) hours worked. Notwithstanding this provision, regular, full-time employees shall earn sick leave at the rate of eight (8) hours per month, at a minimum. Unless otherwise provided herein, no employee shall accrue more than forty-eight (48) hours of sick time per calendar year. The total number of earned sick and safe time hours available for use, as well as the total number of earned sick and safe time hours used, shall be included on earnings statements provided to employees at the end of each pay period.
Subdivision 2. Authorized Use. Employees can use their earned sick and safe time for reasons such as: the employee’s mental or physical illness, treatment or preventive care; a family member’s mental or physical illness, treatment or preventive care; absence due to domestic abuse, sexual assault or stalking of the employee or a family member; closure of the employee’s workplace due to weather or public emergency or closure of a family member’s school or care facility due to weather or public emergency; and when determined by a health authority or health care professional that the employee or a family member is at risk of infecting others with a communicable disease. Employees may use earned sick and safe time for the following family members:
1. their child, including foster child, adult child, legal ward, child for whom the employee is legal guardian or child to whom the employee stands or stood in loco parentis (in place of a parent);
2. their spouse or registered domestic partner;
3. their sibling, stepsibling, or foster sibling;
4. their biological, adoptive or foster parent, stepparent or a person who stood in loco parentis (in place of a parent) when the employee was a minor child;
5. their grandchild, foster grandchild, or step-grandchild;
6. their grandparent or step-grandparent;
7. a child of a sibling of the employee;
8. a sibling of the parents of the employee;
9. a child-in-law or sibling-in-law;
10. any of the family members listed in 1 through 9 above of an employee’s spouse or registered domestic partner;
11. any other individual related by blood or whose close association with the employee is the equivalent of a family relationship; and
12. up to one individual annually designated by the employee.
Sick and safe time shall be paid at the same hourly rate an employee earns when they are working.
SECTION TWO. That this ordinance shall take effect and be in force on January 1, 2024.
Adopted this 12th day of December, 2023.
CITY OF PELICAN RAPIDS
ATTEST: Danielle Heaton,
BY: Brent E. Frazier,
Please support The Pelican Rapids Press by subscribing today!