Pelican matmen tie at Section
Sports News | Published on February 23, 2023 at 7:46pm CST | Author: Pelican Rapids Press0
But Vikings lose based on pin count; Border West pinned five, to Pelican’s four
PHOTOS COURTESY BRIDGETT PEASLEY
Pelican Rapids wrestlers competed at the team Section against Border West on Feb.
18. After losing the first six weight classes and being down 33-0, Pelican won seven in a row and brought Pelican the lead, 36-33 going into heavyweight. The Vikings lost by decision at heavyweight, making the dual meet result in a tie score.
Border West ended up winning based on the criteria of the most pins. Border had five, while Pelican had four.
Pelican’s seven wins in a row came from the following:
- 145: Oakley Carlson by fall
- 152: Jack Kapenga by technical fall
- 160: Carter Johnson by decision, avenging a loss from earlier in the year
- 170: Reece Henkes by fall
- 182: Mark Kapenga by major decision, avenging a loss from earlier in the year
- 195: Eli Valdovines by fall
- 220: Kaden Holt by fall
“We will be competing at the individual section next Saturday in Wadena,” said Coach Cole Witzig, of the upcoming Feb. 25 individual meet. “We have a few guys with a good chance to qualify for the state tournament, but everyone will have to wrestle well!”