Original sketch of Pelican Pete suggested plan for south side of river—which is where he will be re-located
Local News | Published on January 11, 2023 at 5:02pm CST | Author: Pelican Rapids Press1
This original artist’s conception of what the “World’s Largest Pelican” might look like when completed is from the Strand Hardware files. The late Truman Strand was one of the organizers who led the campaign that brought the immense statue to the Pelican River in 1957.
Date of this image is uncertain, but it is pre-1957. Note that in this proposal, the Pelican statue was envisioned on the other side, south, of the dam and river. Interestingly, this original sketch foretold of Pete’s future perch, as he will be relocated to the opposite side of the river, in late spring or early summer of 2023.
At left, Anton and Ted Resset, the blacksmiths who created the metal structure for Pelican Pete. Photo presumably from late 1956 or early 1957.
Pelican Pete’s Big Adventure
• Pelican Pete’s Big Adventure
• Youngster makes yet another memory with pal Pelican Pete
• From the pen of the mayor… Pelican Pete will soon return to represent his hometown
• Do You Remember When? Last Pelican dam repairs date to 1987-1988
• Original sketch of Pelican Pete suggested plan for south side of river—which is where he will be re-located
• Pelican dam removal, Pete relocation, part of larger plan
• Be patient…Pelican Pete shall return
• Students take historic ‘field trip’ to witness Pete’s big move