Be patient…Pelican Pete shall return
Local News | Published on January 11, 2023 at 4:15pm CST | Author: Kim Pederson2
The recent series of photos and videos showing Pelican Pete leaving his long-standing post on the river elicited a surprisingly visceral response from my soul. And judging by the deluge of comments on social media, I’m not alone.
Oh my, it’s really happening. We’ve read about it for a year, but seeing all 15 feet of Pete strapped in the air above the dam was something different again.
They better know what they’re doing. An oddly maternal instinct kicked in, leaving me strangely worried and fretful about Pete’s temporary home and care. He is, after all, just a statue, a piece of concrete.
Did he really look so bad? After all, Pete and I are the same age and share the same birthday week. If he needs a facelift, what does that say about me?
He’s always been there. Pete has stood watch as we dragged main, fished in the river, swam in the mill pond, and checked our mail at the post office. He has seen funeral processions and homecoming parades. He’s watched businesses come and go and people, too. He’s hosted graduation and birthday parties and even a few weddings. He’s the keeper of secrets and the destiny of tourists around the country.
If you are one of those folks with that odd feeling that something is terribly off, good for you. You get it. You care about something bigger than yourself. It’s that place in your heart called home.
Let’s be patient. He’ll be back to watch over us for the next century. And by most accounts, better than ever.
Pete is us. And we are Pete.
Pelican Rapids Press contributor
Pelican Pete’s Big Adventure
• Pelican Pete’s Big Adventure
• Youngster makes yet another memory with pal Pelican Pete
• From the pen of the mayor… Pelican Pete will soon return to represent his hometown
• Do You Remember When? Last Pelican dam repairs date to 1987-1988
• Original sketch of Pelican Pete suggested plan for south side of river—which is where he will be re-located
• Pelican dam removal, Pete relocation, part of larger plan
• Be patient…Pelican Pete shall return
• Students take historic ‘field trip’ to witness Pete’s big move