AN ORDINANCE TO
REPLACE CHAPTER NINE, SECTION 901.09 OF THE CITY CODE FOR THE CITY OF PELICAN RAPIDS, MINNESOTA
901.09 ACCESSORY STRUCTURES AND USES IN RESIDENTIAL ZONING DISTRICTS
Subdivision 1. Definitions:
• Accessory Structures – A structure detached from and located on the same lot and/or parcel as the principal dwelling structure. The use of the accessory structure is incidental to the primary dwelling and in this code refers to storage sheds and other outbuildings.
Subdivision 2. RESIDENTIAL ACCESSORY STRUCTURE REQUIREMENTS
A) For property with accessory structures;
1. Three accessory structures permitted, not to exceed a total of 3,000 square feet. Maximum accessory structure size: 2,000 square feet.
2. Maximum height of accessory structure not to exceed 20 feet.
3. The ground coverage of any structure or combination of structures including the principal dwelling shall not occupy more than 35% of the total lot and/or parcel area.
4. All accessory structures that are 200 square feet or more in size shall be required to be permanently anchored to the ground by being attached to appropriate footings or foundations located on or below the surface of the ground.
5. Architectural painted steel siding, finished facia and soffit cover on eaves are required.
B) Post-frame construction utilizing engineered precast concrete pier foundations, cast in place concrete foundation walls are permitted.
C) All accessory structures are required to obtain a zoning permit or other permitting that may be required under applicable City Code.
D) No accessory structure (other than a fence or a temporary construction office) shall be constructed on any lot in a Residential Zone prior to the time of construction of the principal dwelling building.
E) No accessory structures may be placed within a front yard.
F) All accessory structures shall conform to the setback requirements specified for the respective zoning district in which they are located.
G) When an accessory structure contains a loft, attic, or second story, only the footprint of the main floor of the building, as well as any related steps, decks, platforms, and other attached structures, shall be used to determine its size.
H) If the principal structure is removed from the property for any reason and if a building permit is not issued for the principal dwelling structure within 180 days, all accessory structures remaining that result in a city code nonconformity shall be removed.
I) Plastic, canvas or non-factory painted corrugated metal sheeting (agricultural metal siding/roofing) is not permitted for accessory structures. Factory painted vertical steel siding and steel roofs are permitted for accessory structures.
J) No accessory structure shall be used for dwelling purposes.
K) Shipping containers do not qualify as an accessory structure and are not permitted to be placed on any residential zoned lot or parcel.
L) Pole construction structures shall not be permitted in a residential district. The City Council may from time to time establish construction standards and requirements for pole construction structures that may be erected in allowed zones of the City, and building permits may be issued for the construction of such buildings. Pole construction structures that do not comply with such requirements may be erected in allowed zones, but shall be permitted only as special uses after compliance with the proper special use permit procedures.
That this Ordinance shall be in full force and effect upon the due passage and publication in the manner provide by law.
Passed and adopted by the City Council of the City of Pelican Rapids, Minnesota, this 25th day of May, 2021.
ATTEST: Danielle Heaton,
BY: Brent E. Frazier,