Sheriff deputies reported that a house west of Parkers Prairie and northeast of Urbank was heavily damaged by fire mid-afternoon on Feb. 18.

The location was close to 500th Avenue, with the fire called in at 3:34 p.m.

A youth arrived home from school, opened the door, and saw an active fire in the dining room, close to the woodstove.

The Parkers Prairie Fire Department was called to the scene of the fire. They received assistance from the Leaf Valley Fire Department.

Firefighters extinguished the fire. However, damage was so severe that the house became uninhabitable. The Red Cross was made available to assist family members.