Winter sports will start with a flurry all across Minnesota and Pelican Rapids athletes will take to the basketball court and wrestling mats in the coming days.
The girls basketball team’s first home game is this Saturday, Jan. 16 against Henning. Wrestlers are at home in Pelican, hosting Benson and Thief River Falls.
The boys basketball squad opens away at Breckenridge, Jan. 19. First home game for the boys is Jan. 22. (See accompanying calendar.)
Activities director Derrick Nelson outlined some of the COVID precautions and guidelines in place for sports events, at the Jan. 11 Pelican Rapids School Board meeting.
Spectators will be limited to 150 people, with a target of about two spectators per participant, said Nelson.
Following are additional spectator guidelines from the Minnesota State High School League.
• Spectators must be separated from the competition by a minimum of 12 feet.
• Spectators must be separated by at least 6 feet between households/spectator groups.
• For indoor events where 12 feet can’t be maintained between participants and spectators, participants must be included in the total capacity count.
• If spectators and participants can be clearly separated by at least 12 feet, then participants do not need to be included in the total capacity count.
• Spectators are only allowed at official events.
• Schools must extend arrival times for longer than their typical duration to minimize the congregation of spectators waiting. They must establish staggered admission-times, entry-times and durations to minimize overlap and congregating of spectators at choke-points (e.g. access points, security check-points, admission areas, concession areas).
• All spectators at all indoor events must wear a mask/face covering.