BOARD OF EDUCATION
November 13, 2020
The Pelican Rapids Board of Education held a special meeting on November 13, 2020 in the district boardroom at the high school at 8:00 a.m. Board members present: Michael Forsgren (via Zoom), Jon Karger, Anne Peterson (via Zoom), Brittany Dokken (via Zoom), Brenda Olson (via Zoom), Greg Larson (via Zoom). Board members absent: None. Others present: Brian Korf, Barb Ripley, Bill Simmons.
The meeting was called to order by Jon Karger.
Michael Forsgren moved to approve the meeting agenda. The motion was seconded by Greg Larson and carried with all board members voting in favor with a roll call vote.
Greg Larson introduced the following resolution and moved its adoption:
RESOLUTION CANVASSING RETURNS
OF VOTES OF SCHOOL DISTRICT GENERAL ELECTION
BE IT RESOLVED by the School Board of Independent School District No. 548, as follows:
1. It is hereby found, determined and declared that the general election of the voters of the district held on November 3, 2020, was in all respects duly and legally called and held.
2. As specified in the attached Abstract and Return of Votes Cast, a total of 4,531 voters of the district voted at said election on the election of (three) school board members for four year term vacancies on the board caused by expiration of term on the first Monday in January next following the general election as follows:
Jon Karger 2,366
Anne Peterson 2,420
Stacy L. Cruz 1,445
Molly Welch 1,981
3. Jon Karger, Anne Peterson, and Molly Welch, having received the highest number of votes, are elected to four year terms beginning the first Monday in January, 2021.
4. The school district clerk is hereby authorized to certify the results of the election to the county auditor of each county in which the school district is located in whole or in part.
The motion was seconded by Brittany Dokken and upon a vote being taken the following voted in favor: Karger, Forsgren, Dokken, Larson, Olson, Peterson
And the following voted against: None whereupon said resolution was declared duly passed and adopted.
Michael Forsgren introduced the following resolution and moved its adoption:
RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING ISSUANCE OF CERTIFICATES OF ELECTION AND DIRECTING SCHOOL DISTRICT CLERK TO PERFORM OTHER ELECTION RELATED DUTIES
WHEREAS, the board has canvassed the general election for school board members held on November 3, 2020.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the School Board of Independent School District No. 548, State of Minnesota, as follows:
1. The chair and clerk are hereby authorized to execute certificates of election on behalf of the school board of Independent School District No. 548 to the following candidates:
a. Jon Karger
b. Anne Peterson
c. Molly Welch
who have received a sufficiently large number of votes to be elected to fill vacancies on the board caused by expiration of term on the first Monday in January next following the election, based on the results of the canvass.
2. The certificate of election shall be in substantially the form attached hereto.
3. After the time for contesting the election has passed and the candidate has filed all campaign financial reports required by Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 211A, the clerk of the school board is hereby directed to deliver the certificates to the persons entitled thereto personally or by certified mail.
4. The clerk is hereby directed to enclose with the certificate a form of acceptance of office and oath of office in substantially the form attached hereto.
The motion was seconded by Brenda Olson and upon a vote being taken the following voted in favor: Karger, Forsgren, Dokken, Larson, Olson, Peterson
And the following voted against: None
Whereupon said resolution was declared duly passed and adopted.
Greg Larson moved to adjourn the meeting. The motion was seconded by Michael Forsgren and carried.
Jon Karger, Chair
Anne Peterson, Clerk