PELICAN RAPIDS BOARD OF EDUCATION
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
June 27, 2017
The Pelican Rapids Board of Education held a regular meeting on June 27, 2017 in the board room at the high school at 6:30 p.m. Board members present: Dena Johnson, Jon Karger, Michael Forsgren, Charlie Blixt, Anne Peterson, Kathy Ouren. Board members absent: None. Others present: Superintendent Wanek, CJ Holl, Barb Ripley, Randi Anderson, Bridgette Holl, Brian Korf, Dr. Ed Richardson, Cary Haugrud, Eric Guler, Don Beck, Greg Sjostrom, Brent Frazier, Jess Sjostrom, Paul Restad, Troy Poach, Mark Grefsrud, Trevor Steeves, Derrick Nelson, Lou Hoglund.
The meeting was called to order and the Pledge of Allegiance was led by Charlie Blixt.
Jon Karger moved to approve the meeting agenda with the following changes:
Consent agenda – Item H-remove FY18 Early Childhood services from approval
Consent agenda – add Item P. Designate the Superintendent to be the identified official with authority to authorize user access to MDE secure reports
Business – add Item G. Set a meeting date for the regular July meeting
The motion was seconded by Michael Forsgren and carried.
Members of the Pelican Rapids Baseball Association addressed the board about a proposed project at the baseball field.
Jon Karger moved that the Pelican Rapids Baseball Association be allowed to move forward with a project to replace the backstop and move the grandstand forward at the baseball field at the Chauncey Martin athletic complex contingent upon assurance from a structural engineer that this can be accomplished and that the newly placed grandstand will be certified by Lakes Country Service Cooperative as being in compliance. The motion was seconded by Dena Johnson and carried.
Sean Fitzsimmons presented information to the school board about an Acoustic Sound Shell for the Fine Arts Auditorium.
Brent Frazier recognized and thanked Deb Wanek for her years of service on behalf of the City of Pelican Rapids.
Dena Johnson moved to approve the consent agenda consisting of the following items:
- Approve meeting minutes – Regular meeting-May 15, 2017
- Approve payment of the May 31st and June bills as presented
- Accept donations:
- To scholarships – Team Lab Chemical Corp $250
- To PR Boy Scout Scholarships – Bill Adams $41.33
- To PR Boy Scout Scholarships – PR Venture Scouts $1,558.67
- Approve the 2017-18 insurance renewal with EMC insurance
- Approve membership renewal with MREA for 2017-18 $2,069.00
- Approve contracts with LCSC for membership in the FY18 ECFE Consortium
- Approve contract with LCSC for FY18 for Technology Integration services
- Approve the renewal agreements with NIS for Life Insurance and LTD Insurance for July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2020
- Approve the Memorandum of Understanding for the 2017-18 membership in the Otter Tail Family Service Collaborative
- Approve the Student Teaching Agreement with MSUM from August 1, 2016-August 1, 2021
- Approve the Memorandum of Agreement with U of M-Crookston for CIHS for 2017-18 Approve the engagement letter with EideBailly for the 2017 audit
- Accept the resignation of Marni Neubauer as Elem. St. Council advisor and School patrol advisor
- Hire Amanda Backstrom as a high school cook
- Designate the Superintendent-Randi Anderson to be the identified official with authority to authorize user access to MDE secure reports
The motion was seconded by Kathy Ouren and carried.
Michael Forsgren moved to accept the resignation of Mandy Tollerud as elementary teacher. The motion was seconded by Kathy Ouren and carried.
Charlie Blixt moved to hire Nancy Huseby as elementary teacher. The motion was seconded by Jon Karger and carried.
Dena Johnson moved to approve the revised May final budget revision. The motion was seconded by Charlie Blixt and carried.
Jon Karger moved to approve the 2017-18 preliminary budget. The motion was seconded by Kathy Ouren and carried.
Dena Johnson moved to approve the 4 day week evaluation for 2016-17. The motion was seconded by Anne Peterson and carried.
Dena Johnson moved to approve the 2017-18 transportation contract with Christianson Bus Service. The motion was seconded by Michael Forsgren and carried.
Charlie Blixt moved that there will be a work session on Monday, July 17 at 5:30 pm to work with MSBA on Superintendent evaluation and that the regular July meeting be set for Tuesday, July 18 at 6:30 pm. The motion was seconded by Jon Karger and carried.
Dena Johnson moved to direct Derrick Nelson to proceed with scheduling games for a JV girls soccer team for this fall and to search for a girls soccer coach as needed depending on participation. The motion was seconded by Charlie Blixt and carried.
The meeting was adjourned.
Charlie Blixt, Chair
Mike Forsgren, Clerk